7.8 Massive Earthquake in my Country Nepal
Nepal is now the centre of international news and social media due to the recent earthquake. No one ever expected something like this would happen, and it has created devastation. The 7.8 magnitude earthquake hit at 11.56am on 25th April 2015. The center of the earthquake fell on Lamjung District, a rural area of Nepal. More than 8 million people have been affected by this earthquake.
Most of the World Heritage sites of Nepal have been either partially damaged or completely destroyed by the earthquake. Places like Basantapur Durbar Square, Bhaktapur Durbar Square and Patan Durbar Square. You can read about Nepal World Heritage in my previous article (Nepal listed in Forbes Ten Coolest Places to Visit in 2015). The tallest building – the nine-story Dharahara – has collapsed completely and around 42 people died there on Saturday.
As of 28th April 2015 (10:14)
Total death: 4347 people
Total injured: 8154 people
Most damaged area: Sindhupalchok District
Everest Base Camp deaths: 18 people
My personal experience of the earthquake
On Saturday 25th April I was in Sinduli District which is 129km far from my home, having a picnic to celebrate the Nepali New Year (2072 B.S.). We were around 40 people including cooks and bus driver. We were taking pictures and having fun at the rivers and suddenly whole ground Shaked very dangerously and everyone shouted with fear.
We came back to home after 5 hours by the same route of roads , it was very scary moment that most of the way was obstacle by Big rocks but we enter to our district safely. We took risk to came home and succeed to be alive.
- International Commitee of the Red Cross – I have seen with my eyes that they have given about 20 tents in my area for the needy people. Around 20 people can stay under the tent. It is helping them to be safe from rain.
- Viber and Skype have given free calls to any number. Also Nepal Telecom has given free calls to communicate among each other.
- Facebook, Google and Apple are supporting by collecting donations. Facebook started Safety Check so people can let others know they are safe and alive.
- USA and Bhutan have donated about $10 million to Nepal Government.
- UNICEF has sent two fully loaded food and volunteer planes for the earthquake victims.
- Due to loss of houses and damage to those that remain, people are staying outside the house in tents which is leading to the spreading of infections. Just after three days it’s heard that Swine Flu is seen in some people.
- 80% of people who are sleeping in tents have suffered from fever, dizziness , headache and body pain by the last night rain after Earthquake.
- There is a shortage of drinking water in most of the tents.
I will update more – keep on reading. Hope everything will be recovered soon. Thank you all those who are praying. Your donations and support are always welcome.
Update 12th May 2015: New magnitude 7.4 Earthquake hits Nepal
Nepal again face massive #Earthquake on 12th May 2015 with 7.4 Richter Scale. The center of Earthquake lies in between Sinchupalchowk and Dolakha. Earthquake hit Nepal at 12.52 p.m and scared many people again. Now what I see in many people face is Scared and Worried about it. Everybody is worried about what will happen next.
As on 12th May (15:40)
Total dead : 21 person
Total Injured people : 543 person
Read my Previous Post on 25th April Earthquake : 7.8 Massive earthquake in my country Nepal