Bauyrsaks – Kazakh crispy fried dough
Whenever one goes to Kazakh family as a guest, one will no doubt find such bakery product as bauyrsak. It is a traditional food for Kazakhs to have on the table for any occasion. It has a simple recipe and thus can be cooked anywhere in the world. Bauyrsaks are fried pieces of dough. So, if you want to taste some of Kazakh cuisine, you can try to cook it at home.
What you will need
Flour – 700 g.
Dry yeast – 10 g.
Milk – 1 glass
Water – 1 glass
Vegetable oil – 50 g.
Salt – 1.5 teaspoon
Sugar – 1 teaspoon
Vegetable oil for frying
How to make it
- First prepare sponge dough. Heat up milk and water a little bit to make them warm. Put yeast, sugar in the bowl, pour milk and water, stir and leave for 15 minutes.
- Mix the flour with salt, add the sponge dough, vegetable oil on the work surface and knead the dough.
- Put the dough in a large bowl, cover with a dry towel and put it in a warm place for 1.5 hours.
- After this time, knead the dough well and leave it to rise for the second time for 30-40 minutes.
- Next, take out the dough of the bowl; roll out a circle with a thickness of less than 1 mm.
- Cut circles with the help of the glass.
- The finished dough is spread on the table and covered with a dry towel. Leave for 20 minutes for bauyrsaks to rise.
- In a cauldron or deep frying pan pour as much oil as to make bauyrsaks float freely while frying (without touching the bottom). When the oil is smoking hot, put bauyrsaks into it and fry, stirring constantly, until they turn golden brown.
That’s it! You made it! It’s that simple. Enjoy your meal! Bon appétit!