Byblos – Arab Capital of Tourism 2016
If you have ever been to Lebanon, you won’t be surprised by the fact that Byblos was chosen as the Arab capital of tourism for the year 2016 by the Arab Council of Tourism! The legendary homeland of early Phoenicians was competing with various famous cities as touristic destinations all over the Arab world in countries like Jordan, Egypt, United Arab Emirates, Morocco, Tunisia, etc.
However, the result will be a surprise to all those who had a wrong perception of Lebanon as a war zone, in the vicinity of the Israeli state and the ongoing violence in Syria… Our country is generally not promoted well as a touristic destination, despite the fact that it Lebanon is the oldest nation on Earth, with a huge cultural heritage, moderate climate, natural beauty and great nightlife.
What makes Byblos special?
- Second oldest city in the history of man kind
- The ancient harbor of Byblos is one of the oldest harbors ever
- Historical ruins, monuments, and remains from different eras (Phoenicians, Romans, Byzantines, Arabs, Crusaders, Ottomans)
- Oriental architecture
- Old Souks of Byblos (The Markets)
- Religious diversity
- Coastal city on the Mediterranean sea
- 35 KM away from Beirut and 30 mins away from Mount Lebanon
- Various activities and night life