#DreamersAcademy empowerment in Rwanda
The Dreamers Academy is an annual camp project for secondary school students and graduates that serves as one of our tools to empower an ever-increasing number of young Rwandans with skills ranging from debating, critical thinking skills, leadership skills, to programming skills.
This year it is slated to run at Agahozo Shalom Youth Village, Rwamagana from December 3rd to December 12th. The participation fee is Rwf 35,000 ($50). Register here if you’re interested 🙂
Program of the #DreamersAcademy
The students will get training on the following topics:
- Public speaking and effective communication
- Debate formats (KARL POPPER, POLICY DEBATE, WORLD SCHOOL , BP)
- Case development (policy and value)
- Argumentation(construct and refute arguments, logical fallacies)
- Refutation and rebuttal
- Note taking and flowing
- Critical thinking (practical session)
- Dilemma methodology
- Research (practice and theory)
However this camp is also a preparation for next year’s league that starts in January 2016. In order to do that students are going to be trained in the following topics:
- Self-esteem and confidence
- Conflict management
- Team-building (one main and ongoing)
- Poverty reduction strategies adopted by various governments
- Poverty reduction theories
In addition to this, students will receive training sessions in basic coding by trainers from Hehe Ltd.
Other activities will include documentary screenings, a Community outreach and a Cultural evening.
This amazing project was initiated by a Rwandan NGO called iDebate Rwanda. To learn more about them you can click on this logo to be directed on their website 😉