Funny Romanian expressions
In the real life, Romanian people do not realize how funny and how “non-translatable” some idioms are. Usually, when someone wants to say a traditional quote, he/she needs to find a replacement that would make sense in English.
Here are some conclusive examples:
- A Romanian is not “surprised”…his “face has fallen off” (I-a picat fața).
- He will not “lie to you” … he’ll “sell you doughnuts” (Vinde gogoși).
- A Romanian doesn’t “suddenly get it” … his “coin drops” (Îi pică fisa).
- You don’t “drive a Romanian nuts” … you “take him out of his watermelons” (Îl scoți din pepeni).
- In Romania, things are not “far away” … they’re “at the devil’s mother” (La mama naibii).
- A Romanian won’t tell you to stop “wasting time” … he’ll tell you to stop “rubbing the mint” (Freca menta).
- A Romanian is not “nervous” … he “has a carrot (in his ass)” (Are un morcov în fund).
You can find more if you click here ,thanks to Paula Veselovschi.
Feel free to share the funny translations to English from your language, I am sure it will be as fun as reading this about Romanian language.
Be sociable, share!